Hpa An is not currently connected to Myanmar’s railway network and to travel there direct from Yangon you need to take a bus. The closest railway station to Hpa An is in Thaton, 60 km to the east of Hpa An.
Bus Times to Hpa An
There is 1 direct bus service a day from Yangon to Hpa An which you can book online.
|20:30||03:00||Mandalar Minn Express||$13.00 USD|
- Mandalar Minn Express uses an air-conditioned single deck bus on this route.
Train Times to Hpa An
There are no direct train services from Yangon to Hpa An, but you can take a train to Thaton, and there it takes around 90 minutes to travel to Hpa An by public bus.
|07:15||13:45||89||6 hrs 30 m|
|18:25||01:15||175||6 hrs 50 m|
|21:00||03:30||35||6 hrs 30 m|
- Read more about travel by train from Yangon to Thaton.
Buy Tickets to Hpa An
Use the Search Box below to buy your bus tickets from Yangon to Hpa An:
- After booking you need to print out the voucher sent to you by e-mail to present to the bus operator before you start your journey.
Yangon Bus Stop
Mandalar Minn Express bus services from Yangon to Hpa An depart from Aung Mingalar High Way Bus Station.
Hpa An Bus Stop
Mandalar Minn Express bus services from Yangon to Hpa An terminate at Hpa An Clock Tower.
About Hpa An
Hpa An is a fairly large town which attracts a steady stream of visitors. The big attraction of Hpa An is the landscape surrounding the town which features steep sided limestone hills, large caves and great riverside views. Hpa An is on the main highway from Yangon to Mae Sot, near the border with Thailand, which makes it easily accessible from Thailand and a good stop over destination on the journey between the border with Thailand and Yangon. The town has hotels and restaurants which cater to foreign visitors with menus and signs in English making it more straightforward and enjoyable for those foreigners who do visit.
The most popular tourist attractions in and around Hpa An include:
- Shweyinhmyaw Pagoda: Temple located in Hpa An town on the banks of the Thanlyin River. The temple is popular for its views over the river.
- Zwegabin Hill: 725 metre tall steep sided hill about 10 km by road to south east of Hpa An town. Zwegabin Hill is the most famous part of the landscape around Hpa An. You can trek up the hill as well as visit various temple and shrines built on the sides of the hill.
- Kyauk Kalat Pagoda: Shrine built on top of a hill rock outcrop on an island.
- Sadan Cave: Large cavern full of shrines and Buddha statues.
- Kawgun Cave: Small cave with very ornate decorations and paintings, some of which are over 1,400 years old.